Grants, ranging between £300 to £3,000, will go to initiatives that enable positive and significant change within the community and that represent inclusive and diverse communities across 13 different boroughs.
Aaron Uthman, the airport’s Community Relations Ambassador and Nazmin Begum, Corporate Responsibility and Community Engagement Executive, joined local residents at the Royal Docks Learning and Activity Centre (RDLAC) to officially reveal details of the new registered charity. London City Airport has an existing close relationship with RDLAC and the Centre represents the ethos of organisations that the fund will support.
The airport is seeking applications specifically from groups that either:
- build stronger, safer and healthier communities
- create more sustainable and greener communities
- raise aspirations of East Londoners
- or create pathways into employment
The application process, details of which can be found here, has been developed so it is deliberately straightforward - to attract grassroots organisations and smaller charities.
Stephen Timms, MP for East Ham, said:
“I welcome this contribution from London City Airport to the local community. The Airport is a vital source of good employment in the area. I am pleased it has taken this new initiative, to offer much-needed funding to organisations doing a great job in our part of London.”
Liam McKay, Director of Corporate Affairs at London City Airport said:
“The themes of our new Community Fund mirror many of the values which we champion as a business, in the heart of East London.
“We want the charity to have real longevity and are excited to receive applications from a diverse range of applicants. Through these grants, the airport will make a real difference to organisations that improve and enrich the communities on our doorstep.”
To be eligible for funding applicants must meet the following criteria:
- run a local charity or not-for-profit organisation which represents inclusive and diverse communities within East London
- adhere to one of London City Airport’s community themes: building stronger, safer and healthier communities, creating more sustainable and greener communities, raising aspirations of East Londoners or creating pathways into employment
- be based in one of these boroughs: Barking & Dagenham, Bexley, Epping Forest District Council, Greenwich, Hackney, Havering, Newham, Lambeth, Lewisham, Redbridge, Southwark, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.
- More information on the Community Fund can be found at www.londoncityairport.com/corporate/responsible-growth/community-fund. Prospective applicants with questions or queries can contact Community.Fund@londoncityairport.com.
- Application deadlines 2019:
1st deadline: 19 July 2019 at 17:00
These grants will be announced on 2 September 2019
2nd deadline: 25 October 2019 at 17:00
These grants will be announced on 25 November 2019
- The London City Airport Community Fund is a registered charity. No.1182642
- The Board of Trustees comprises:
- Duncan Alexander, London City Airport Consultative Committee (Independent Chair)
- Tessa Simpson, Head of Environment and Technical Operations
- Liam McKay, Director of Corporate Affairs
- Anna Boss, Sustainability Manager
- Councillor Saima Ashraf, Deputy Leader of the Council, Barking and Dagenham
- Joy-Caron Canter, Centre Director at RDLAC, representative from Newham
- A Flybe representative