During a rigorous two-day assessment, which included a full audit of the passenger journey for both departure and arrival, CAA and PHE officials saw first-hand the range of health measures that the airport has put in place, including enhanced hygiene measures, support services to staff and processes to ensure passengers can move quickly, and safely, through the airport, whilst still delivering a great customer experience.
With the airport expected to offer flights to over 30 UK and European destinations this summer, the assessment also looked at London City’s preparedness for a significant increase in passenger numbers.
And to facilitate this, the airport’s onsite testing centre will be expanded and offer all relevant tests for key international travel markets, with passengers able to pre-book £66 PCR tests for departure and arrival, and same-day result LAMP tests available for £76.
Alison FitzGerald, Chief Operating Officer of London City Airport, said:
Flights to Green-listed Portugal begin from London City on Friday, with BA8481 departing for Faro at 07.10.
"We understand that some passengers may be apprehensive about travelling, but they should be assured that we are not only doing everything we can to not only keep them safe, but to make the London City experience as simple and straightforward as possible.
Being one of the first UK airports to achieve this globally recognised health accreditation, which is endorsed by our regulator and Public Health England, will hopefully give passengers the confidence to book their travel with LCY for a much-deserved break this summer."
London City follows Stansted Airport, East Midlands Airport and Heathrow Airport in receiving the accreditation.
Notes to Editors:
- More information on the ICAO Council Aviation Recovery Takkforce can be found here: https://www.icao.int/covid/cart/Pages/default.aspx
- Passengers can search for flights and book their tickets at https://londoncityairport.netflights.com/
- Further information on the airport’s Testing Centre is available here: https://www.londoncityairport.com/test
- Netflights is an ABTA member and all holidays are ATOL protected.
- Destinations currently served by the airport include Belfast, Frankfurt, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dusseldorf with British Airways CityFlyer (BACF), Amsterdam with KLM, Vilnius with LOT Polish Airlines, Zurich with SWISS and Luxembourg with LuxAir.
- BA CityFlyer (BACF) has announced a route map of 25 destinations from the airport this summer, including services to Guernsey, Jersey, Gibraltar, Malaga, San Sebastian, Faro, Florence, Ibiza, Mykonos, Santorini, Nice, Palma and Split.
- London City Airport was awarded with the Global Health Accreditation Standard by the Airports Council International (ACI) in October 2020.
- The airport was recognised as one of the best airports in Europe for customer experience in the 2020 Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Awards.